What Accreditation Means to You and Your Pet
Tropicana Animal Hospital is accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), meeting the highest standards for veterinary care. Our hospital voluntarily completed a detailed evaluation of our services and equipment, and we are thoroughly evaluated regularly to ensure excellence in these areas:
- Emergency services
- Pain management
- Contagious diseases
- Surgery and anesthesia
- Radiology services
- Pathology services
- Nursing care
- Diagnostics and pharmacy
- Examination facilities
- Pet medical records
- Medical library
- Housekeeping and maintenance
Only about 15 percent of small animal veterinary hospitals in North America are accredited AAHA members, and here are some reasons why this is important to you:
- The standards require hospitals to provide diagnostic services (x-ray and laboratory) so they can quickly and accurately diagnose your pet.
- The standards focus on the quality of veterinary care in the areas of anesthesia, contagious diseases, dental care, pain management, patient care, surgery, and emergency care.
- Accredited hospitals have an on-site pet pharmacy (another standards area) so they can begin treatment immediately.
- AAHA standards also require that medical records be thorough and complete, which helps hospitals to better understand your pet's medical history and how past health issues might be impacting his or her current medical status.
The American Animal Hospital Association was founded by seven leaders of the veterinary profession in 1933. From its inception, AAHA focused on promoting high-quality standards for the small animal private practice. Today AAHA is respected internationally for its dedication to professional development, for its hospital accreditation standards, and for the excellence of its education programs.
The purpose of the American Animal Hospital Association is to
- enhance the abilities of veterinarians to provide quality medical care to companion animals,
- enable veterinarians to successfully conduct their practices and maintain their facilities with high standards of excellence, and meet the public's needs as they relate to the delivery of small animal veterinary medicine.
AAHA is an international association of more than 36,000 veterinary care providers, with approximately 3,000 veterinary hospitals voluntarily participating in the evaluation program. Consultants regularly visit these hospitals to ensure compliance with AAHA's standards for services and facilities.
Accreditation helps veterinary hospitals stay on the leading edge of veterinary medicine and provide the quality and range of services you and your pet deserve. For more information, visit the AAHA Accreditation web page.